Markham of Chesterfield
Ancestors and Descendants of John Markham
1620 - Yes, date unknown
||Between 1620 and 1640
||Yes, date unknown
||15 Jul 2018 |
||Miss Fletcher, b. Between 1634 and 1642, London, England , d. Yes, date unknown |
| ||1. Peter Mathews, b. Between 1660 and 1670, Ireland , d. 1719, Albany, Albany Co, New York, USA |
||Sketch: Athlone Ireland 1690-1691|
Was Benfletcher Mathews a member of the garrison at Athlone in the late 17th century? ľOr, was he a merchant or man of business in the town of Athlone?
- The relationship between Mister Mathews (#3690) and Miss Fletcher (#3776), is not proven. It is placed here in this database in order to consider the following questions:
Is Peter Mathews (#3646) a nephew of Benjamin Fletcher (#3645)?
Is Peter Mathews (#3646) the son of a Mister Mathews (#3690) and Miss Fletcher (#3776)?
Does Benjamin Fletcher (#3645) have a sister who married a Mister Mathews (#3690), and do they have a son Peter Mathews (#3646)?
Considerable effort has been expended to try to identify the ancestors of Peter Mathews (#3646). I have looked at a number of Mathew, Mathews, Matthews individuals and families. To better define that research, I have placed these individuals in this database under a collective entry - "Mathews Ancestors ZCollector". Benfletcher Mathews (#1 below) and Vincent Mathews (#2 below) are, without question, the most likely connections for our Peter Mathews ancestors. Unfortunately, I can find very few clues beyond their names. John Mathews, quartermaster (#3 below), is also of interest. The other men listed do not show promising connections. The Mathew(s) family that came to Ireland from Glamorgan is large and interesting. There is much more that could be explored there, but I don't think that it will prove to be our ancestral line.
1. Benfletcher Mathews (#3841), died in Dublin April 1691
2. Vincent Mathews (#3958), his wife Elizabeth Mathews died in Dublin July 1696
3. John Mathews (#3842), quartermaster, of Francis St in Dublin, died 1660
4. Col Edmond Mathew(s) (#3843), commander of the Garrison at Newry in the 1640s, member of the Glamorgan family
5. John "Jack" Mathews (#3844), Mayor of Galway in 1659
6. Peter Mathews (#3845), merchant of London in the mid 1600s; and his brother Baldwin Mathews
7. Col Edward Mathew(s) (#3846), serving in Ireland in late 17th century, member of the Glamorgan family
8. Peter Mathews (#3847), died 1657 in Rosmakay, Louth co, Ireland
9. Samuel Mathew(s) (#3848), from London to Virginia in the early 1600's; son of Bishop Tobias Mathews, ?Glamorgan family
10. Lt Christopher Mathew(s) (#3849), soldier, landowner in county Kilkenny, probably member of the Glamorgan family
11. Thomas Mathew(s) (#3850), Mayor of Barnstaple, Devonshire and London merchant, Glamorgan family
12. John Mathews (#3851), with brother(?) Henry Mathews, goldsmiths of Dublin, early 1700s, also Vincent Kidder
13. Erasmus Mathew(s) (#3734), of Northampton, England, married Elizabeth Lloyd; his father, also Erasmus Mathews, was Bishop of Elphin (Ireland) around 1615.
14. William Mathews (#2698), Mayor of Evesham, Worcester co, England in the 1660s, daughter Mary Mathews married Henry Vincent
15. James Mathews (#3955), appears in the records of New York 1679, preceeding Peter Mathews in 1692
Notes for Mister Mathews; compiled by Pamela Hutchison Garrett, 2015; for Markham of Chesterfield website.